Tuesday 19 April 2011

Julia Spencer-Fleming!


bright sunny day, temps 4, gorgeous day

But - snow and rain (or what some people call snain) in forecast for tonight. Blech. Now I could use that poutine!

What I really want to tell you about is my friend Julia Spencer-Fleming's new book. It is just out and is called ONE WAS A SOLDIER. It is brilliant. I had a chance to read an advance copy and I believe this is the BEST yet in her series, and that is saying a lot.

If you're not already of fan of Julia's, check her out. She's also won just about every award going, and rightfully so.

And - in news of my own - we now have an audio sample of Ralph Cosham reading the first few pages of A TRICK OF THE LIGHT. Just click here and you'll get a chance to hear it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Louise-Penny/142727095798278?sk=app_117849808295683

Hope the link works. It's also up on the home page of my website.

It's odd for me because it feels like showing just a little ankle. Or an artist revealing a corner of a painting. Very hard to get the full impact. But perhaps enough to whet your appetite. I'm going for the world record of metaphors in two lines.

Oh, and over at Facebook, I'll be starting the Advance Readers Copy contest in the next day or so. I'll also be giving some away on the Newsletter, which you can sign up for on my website. And, yes, definitely I'll be offering ARCs of A TRICK OF THE LIGHT to you - who have been with me almost since day one.

But I'll be starting at Facebook, to thank them for making the switch from a personal page to a fanpage. I know, if you don't know facebook this is just blah, blah, blah.

Off to answer more emails. it seems every day I forget more things. you too?

14 comments:

Michelle said...

I keep debating whether or not to listen to the Audiobook posted on Facebook. Part of me wants to hear what you have written but then part of me wants it to be a surprise. I already know I will be reading it when it comes out (or maybe win a copy fingers crossed). I think I want to wait.... Am really curious to see who you hire to play Gamache in the movie. My mother in law and I are very excited about the new book and the movie! I told her if I won an advanced copy I would let her read it first. How's that for a good daughter in law!?

A. Wright said...

Louise, you need to link your "Friend Me On Facebook" on this website to your new Facebook page. Currently the link takes you to an error page.

Excited about the ARC giveaway...if only...fingers crossed.

--Alice

Linda said...

It's insane how thrilled I was to discover that I could hear Ralph Cosham reading a snippet of A Trick of the Light. I'm more starved for Three Pines than I thought. It did not disappoint! Can not wait!

John said...

Like Alice, keeping my fingers crossed for the possibility of an ARC! The anticipation mounts! :-)
(and unfortunately, yes, I do forget more every day; yoicks!!)

John.

Anonymous said...

Louise--just visited your facebook page and listened to the audio of the beginning of "A Trick of the Light". Can't wait to read it when it comes out!

Also, excited about "One Was a Soldier". I'll be checking my library and bookstores. I love Julia's books since they first came out.

Thanks for inviting me into your home through the newletter, blog, and facebook.

Sandi

Marjorie said...

Alice, the link for "Friend me on Facebook" on the right hand side of the blog just under the changing book covers does work for me and it takes me to Louise's FB fan page. Can you tell us what error message you are getting so we can check with the experts? And are you signed into Facebook when you click on the link? I wonder if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Marjorie from CT

Louise Penny Author said...

Hi all - thanks for your comments! Very exciting to have the excerpt available - and we'll soon - in the next month or so, be able to make the first chapter available too.

Alice, you were quite right-and Marjorie the reason it worked for you is that Alice alerted me and I got Linda who manages the site to update the link. Am also going to world record in names in one sentence.

Yowza.

Melody said...

Hi Louise! I'm so looking forward to A Trick of the Light... Maybe I'll be lucky enough to snag an advance copy... I do so love your books. They are among my favorites..

Take care.

Lisa said...

I didn't want to be greedy, but I was hoping that there might be ARCs for the blog and the newsletter (for the tiny minority of us not on facebook) - so yay!

Beth said...

I just received my copy of "One Was A Soldier" and I am reading it oh-so-slowly, savoring it, so happy to be reunited with these dear characters. This will tide me over until my next trip to Three Pines.

Diane said...

I'm joining the long list of hopefuls for an advanced copy and will certainly check out 'One was a Soldier' as I know you don't recommend lightly.

lil Gluckstern said...

Wishing for an ARC of yours, seems an age since "Bury Your Dead." Waiting for my copy of "One Was a Soldier." I will wander over to your Facebook page; I'm sure I have forgotten something. And I'm not half as busy as you.

A. Wright said...

I keep forgetting to mention that Laurie R King's Virtual Book Club is discussing "The Brutal Telling" and "Bury Your Dead" this month. For those interested in reading the thread or in joining and posting their comments go here:
http://bit.ly/g97Oif

BTW Next month's book is a Laurie R King Writer as Reader pick (she picks a book once a quarter) and is "In the Bleak Midwinter" by Julia Spencer-Fleming. So join us in May to discuss this book. Sort of a serendipitous synergy of LRK/Penny/Spencer-Fleming.

--Alice

P.S.Quick work on fixing the link.

Unknown said...

Alice, thanks for some good info on LK...there is always something wonderful going on in cyberspace! We Julia S-F fans have been waiting a long time for this installment! But it tickles me to know that authors I love like other authors I love...Louise, you are a generous person, with this blog and the newsletter, and you bring out others who are also good sharers. Sometimes I feel like a character in one of those movies who seeks escape/a smile via the web...I am never disappointed here! Cheers!